Who we are and why we are here:

'He' started out at 450 lbs. 'She' started out at 300 lbs (although had been as high as 330 lbs at one point). Between them they've lost weight, gained weight, and learned a lot along the way.

What you'll find here are our educated thoughts, opinions, and tips for a healthier lifestyle. 'He' minored in psychology, 'she' majored in history - two research heavy fields that have made them both skeptical and able to weed through the sludge in order to find gems. Neither of us is perfect by any means, but as much as possible, we will try not to lead you astray with unfounded, sensational, or fad information.

We are intentionally avoiding fad diets, expensive meal plans, and other extreme (expensive!) weight loss plans.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Bunch of info...

I am, by no means, saying that the way I eat (when dieting) is healthy.  Probably not, but I stumbled over to Health.com this morning and found a few things that support things I have been saying either here on my blog or in real life.

27 Mistakes Healthy People Make got my attention mostly because of my rants about how people think skinny means healthy.  Even this title says so.  I sort of wish it said 27 Mistakes "Healthy" People Make.  Of course, this is just the beginning.  #1 - buying organic.  People think buying organic is healthier.  "Buying organic is wise for certain foods, such as beef or strawberries, but it doesn't make much difference for others, like avocados or eggs.  
And don't assume that all organic foods are healthier than non-organic options, or that organic equals healthy. Organic choices are usually pricier, for one thing. And organic high-calorie, high-fat granola bars and sugary cereals are just as bad for you as the non-organic version."
My note: Buying organic is a bloated politically correct thing we are supposed to to if we care about the environment.  I learned that "organic" as often an advertising ploy as tainted as anything else.  Example: Generally, cows raised for milk are given antibiotics constantly.  True.  Organic means some governing agency has made sure the cows have never had antibiotics or other medication.  True.  Then I saw a farmer who sells his milk and cheese at a farmer's market because he does not qualify as either organic or non-organic.  Why?  Because he does not distribute antibiotics to his animals *unless they are sick*.  Humane.  He wanted to become organic because, he claims, he realizes the milk is better without those antibiotics and growth hormones, but he also could not stand by and watch his animals die because they caught something and in order to be certified organic, you have to just let them die.  Wow.  Well, we don't eat much beef in this family and we mainly buy soy milk because of allergies to cow's milk so cheese is my only worry and...well... that's processed and such in a way that I can't justify "organic" cheese.

Besides, organic products always cost more.  Someone is making more money by slapping that label on there.  I realize that it's supposed to be because it costs more to raise things this way (you lose more crops, more cows, whatever and those have to be replaced) and it's a simple supply and demand issue - it will continue to cost more as popularity for it rises.

I won't go through these one by one, but they list a bunch of things I know are true.  Don't skimp on sleep.  Socialize more (that was interesting, but I do see the value.  Like sleep, our mental health affects our physical health.)

Supplements - I heard this pyramid scheme which sells diet shakes so that it's "legit" saying that you should never take supplements because your body doesn't digest it and use it.  It simply goes through and you poop it out.  Classy.  Also, wrong.  Your body uses what it can.  If there is too much of something, your liver and kidneys are there to get rid of it.  Granted, this article points out you can still be taking too much, but I think we sometimes forget that our bodies are efficient machines.

Germaphobes (slide #8) - But evidence also suggests that some germ exposure could steer the immune system away from allergies, and that an overly sterile environment might be bad.


I'm quite sure I did a post about this before.  Your immune system gets stronger by fighting things off.  Yeah, take precautions, but don't overdo!

#9 You over- or underdo alternative remedies

Agreed.  I believe both are very useful, but so many I talk to seem to think it's one or the other.  Don't discount the herbal remedies, but don't believe whatever the doctor is selling without question, either.



#13 - calorie free sodas.  yeah, it's my weakness.  I know I did better when I cut way back on them, but even when losing weight, I did have a little every day.  My guilty pleasure.  I defend the fact that people should remember that if they can narrow down just one thing that makes the whole diet thing bearable, then find a way to work that in.  Love sweets?  Allow yourself a piece of Extra's dessert gum or one can of soda per day.   I'm sure we shouldn't have it at all to be truly healthy, but for me this is what helps me make it through.  My husband loves salty chips so we buy Special K snacks or Baked Lays.  Low in salt, but just enough to get him through from time to time.

#14 - water... they are talking about drinking too much, but I admit, I don't drink enough.  This amused me.  The other day I was told that our body only recognizes straight water as water.  "It thinks" anything else is food.  Personifying is one of those annoying things people do.  The body is a machine.  Cells, fat, and the liver don't think, they simply process.  I know that you can't count soda or Gatorade as your daily water intake, but your body doesn't think my coffee is food.  I also know if I drink 16 oz of coffee, my body does not get 16 oz of water from that.

#16 - you think you know more than your doc.

Sometimes you do.  Yeah, I think some people are looking at things on the internet and believing what they read because it sounds good (or bad, sometimes) but they don't look at the supporting facts that prove it's wrong.  People who don't immunize at all are following a trend that seems informed, but in reality, there is way way way more information showing why you should.  They don't bother to research why they question, they just think they are being informed.

Meanwhile, we've had diagnoses from a doctor that is complete nonsense.  We look at symptoms on the internet and realize the doc made the diagnosis based solely on weight, not on symptoms.  A person with sleep apnea is often fatigued, snores, doesn't breathe in the middle of the night, etc, etc.  Scott had anxiety over our house fire and the doctor decided the anxiety was due to lack of sleep which was due to apnea.  Later, the same doctor decided he needed diabetic medication because he was not told about a blood test that day and ate a blueberry bagel before the blood test which spiked the blood once.  Since then, his levels have been well below normal - below the numbers that have had other family members taken off their diabetic meds, yet he is still on them.  I get frustrated because he listens to these doctors too much.  I think it's a balance.  Listen to your doctor, but it's okay to question them as well.

#17 - You think healthy packaging equals healthy food.

Ha, so true!  Healthy food is a marketing ploy and it is working because people buy into these things without research or question!  I saw a documentary about food and I loved this one guy who pointed out that he could sell you a bag of sugar that says "fat free!" but it will still make you fat.  People don't realize that while there are good fats and bad fats, both should be limited, but cutting out all bad fats won't make you thin, by itself.  You also have to simply eat less.  You feel hungry sometimes, sure, but you have to just eat less.  Fat free isn't helpful unless you still count calories or something.

#19 - you still don't eat your fruits and veggies.

Oh, thank god!  It's not just me!  I mean, I try every day, but....

$24 - You don't read nutrition labels.

I do, now, and I have to say it is eye opening!  Often, I'll be at a party or lunch and hear people say things that I know aren't true about certain foods because I've read the label and obviously they haven't.   Kashi go lean might have more fiber, but the "go lean" is deceiving because Eggo waffles and most cereals we buy are lower in both calories and fat than Kashi products... so what are they comparing it to?  go lean from what?  A pound of bacon for breakfast?  Yes.  Leaner than Cheerios?  Nope.

Okay, that's enough blathering for today.  I just realized the time and I need to start my other tasks for the day...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting facts...I will have to read the whole article, because I am sure there a quite a few things I do wrong - drinking too much water is not one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read . I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job . Keep it up.Exipure Reviews

    ReplyDelete